Join PRSA Richmond Wednesday, Sept. 13 for a professional development session, "Writing for Effective Media Relations." In today’s oversaturated news landscape, it’s more important than ever to know how to work effectively with the media. VCU professors Mary Ann Owens, formerly a USA Today reporter, and Jeff South, formerly of the Austin American-Statesman, will host a workshop covering:
- How to position a story to grab a journalist's attention
- Tips for writing succinctly and avoiding jargon
- New ways to pitch, with a focus on multimedia and data presentation
- Understanding journalists' needs, deadlines and how to best accommodate
- Do’s and don’ts for reporter outreach for print and broadcast media
Join us for this interactive session with discussion. The workshop is open to PRSA members and non-members and will be held at Virginia Commonwealth University, Temple Building, Lecture Hall 1165 (901 West Main Street). A networking session with bagels will kick off the session from 8 to 8:30 a.m., and the workshop will be held 8:30 to 10:30 a.m.
Seating is limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis. Registration costs are $25 for PRSA members and $35 for non-members. Advance payment with a credit card is highly preferred, but checks and cash will be accepted at the door. If you register, please plan to attend – refunds are not available unless three business days notice is given, and no-shows will be invoiced.
Rosalie Morton, special events/workshops chair, at Rosalie.Morton@PadillaCo.com.